Saint Rose of Lima’s feast day is coming up soon and I am so excited for what I have in store for her feast day. I have several fun activities and a yummy dinner planned. First here are a couple of facts about Saint Rose of Lima:
- Saint Rose of Lima was born as Isabel Flores de Olivia
- She took the name Rose when confirmed and she was confirmed by Saint Toribio Alfonso de Mogrovejo
- Saint Rose permanently abstained from eating meat.
- She earned money for her family by sewing.
- She built a prayer den for herself in the backyard.
- Saint Rose was very beautiful which attracted men. To not be noticed, she would blemish her face by rubbing it with pepper to make it blister and she cropped her hair short.
- When she turned 20, she was permitted to join the Third Order of St. Dominic.
- She only allowed herself to sleep no more than two hours a night so that she had more hours to devote to prayer
- Saint Rose wore a heavy silver crown with spikes that she covered with roses. This reminded her of Jesus’ crown of thorns
- St. Rose is the patroness of embroiderers, gardeners, florists, those who suffer ridicule for their piety, and people who suffer family problems.
- Saint Rose of Lima is the first canonized saint of the New World
Without the burden of afflictions it is impossible to reach the height of Grace. The gift of Grace increases as the struggle increases.– Saint Rose of Lima
Activities for Saint Rose of Lima’s feast day
- Coloring pages
Make a Saint Rose of Lima crown
Available for FREE in the Printable Library
This is something that even the little ones can do!
For littles, draw simple shapes on a styrofoam plate and have them use plastic needles.
I bought this embroidery kit for the bigger kids. They can draw their own picture.
- Lomo Saltado – I will be combining these two recipes here & here
- Peruvian chicken – I am totally cheating and I will be going to our local favorite Peruvian chicken restaurant
- Cilantro lime rice
FREE SAINT ROSE OF LIMA QUOTE
- Girl Saints for Little Ones Volume 2
- St. Rose of Lima: The Story of the First Canonized Saint of the Americas
- A Catholic Child’s Illustrated Lives of the Saints
- **not a book but an audio story** Glory Stories CD Vol 10: Saint Rose of Lima & Saint Maximilian Kolbe
If only mortals would learn how great it is to possess divine grace, how beautiful, how noble, how precious. How many riches it hides within itself, how many joys and delights! No one would complain about his cross or about troubles that may happen to him, if he would come to know the scales on which they are weighed when they are distributed to men.-St. Rose of Lima
Things to buy:
Shining Light Dolls have adorable stickers and vinyl doll
Tiny Saints charms
Saint Rose of Lima porcelain medal
FREE PRAYER CARD
>>>CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD<<<
Do you have any special activities you do for Saint Rose of Lima if so comment below! Don’t forget to pin and share this post!