I am so excited to share with you some super fun Saint Zita feast day activities for your family to do. As a homemaker, Saint Zita (the patron saint of homemakers) is a great saint to ask for intercession from. Needless to say, I look forward to celebrating her coming April 27th.
Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you!
- Saint Zita is the patron saint for housewives, homemakers, domestic servants, maids
- She was sent at the age of 12 to work for the Fatinelli family where she experienced much suffering. She worked there for 48 years.
- People were jealous of how she was able to attend daily Mass and make time for prayer all while being great at her housekeeping job and maintain her own home.
- She often visited the sick and helped feed the poor
- Important people would visit St. Zita because of her reputation of goodness and holy visions
- Saint Zita is an incorruptible saint!
Saint Zita Feast Day Activities for Families
ST. ZITA COLORING PAGES
FOOD FOR SAINT ZITA FEAST DAY
A customary tradition for celebrating Saint Zita’s feast day is to bake bread. There is a legend of where angels baked bread for St. Zita!
Saint Zita often fed beans to the poor. Make a dish with beans (like chili) or a bean side dish. I will be making my favorite baked bean recipe.
“a servant is not holy if she is not busy; lazy people of our position is fake holiness.”St. Zita
TEACH HOUSEKEEPING SKILLS
Take the time to teach your kids some housekeeping skills. It is easy to forget that we need to teach kids how to do basic skills and how to do them well. Here is a list of cleaning tasks:
- how to wipe down tables and/or counters
- how to properly put away toys
- fold laundry (even a toddler can learn to fold washcloths)3
- load a dishwasher
Here are a couple of our favorite fun ways to teach cleaning skills to little kids.
Sweeping Activity for Kids
- make a 12″x 12″ square on the floor using tape (like painters tape).
- sprinkle small craft pom-poms, around the square.
- have the kids practice sweeping pom-poms/ dirt into the square.
- practice sweeping up the pile in the square into a dust pan
- practice balancing the dust pan to a trashcan
Melissa and Doug’s kid size cleaning set is great for little kids!!
For younger ones: a toy cleaning station outside; fun outdoor water play/ sensory
- (optional fun) let kids play a little bit with mud or dirt with some play dishes and/or play kitchen items.
- fill a large container with water and kid-safe soap. make it bubbly!
- fill another large container with only water.
- add the dirty dishes to the soapy water container
- practice “cleaning” the dishes with a rag. focus and encourage on getting off all the dirt and trying to not spill too much water
- rinse everything off in the water only container
- then practice drying dishes
HABIT TRAINING: cleanliness, neatness, organization
Focus on a habit that will help with maintaining the home. Some great habits to instill are cleanliness, neatness, and organization. Simply Charlotte Mason’s Laying Down the Rails is an awesome resource for learning these habits along with many more!
“But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.”1 Corinthians 14:40
BOOKS TO READ FOR ST. ZITA’S FEAST DAY
- Book of Saint (part 7)
- Alphabet Book of Saints
- Saints for Young Readers for Every Day: January – June
- An Alphabet of Saints
- The Incorruptibles: A Study of the Incorruption of the Bodies of Various Catholic Saints and Beati
Favorite books for housewives/ homemaking
- Gifted and Graced by Kimberly Hahn
- Not Of This World: A Catholic Guide to Minimalism by Sterling Jaquith
- Theology of Home: Finding the Eternal in the Everyday by Carrie Gress
- Theology of Home II: The Spiritual Art of Homemaking by Carrie Gress
PRINTABLES FOR ST. ZITA’S FEAST DAY
FREE ST. ZITA PRAYER CARD
You can also find another Saint Zita prayer card in the Alphabet Saint Cards pack!!
I am excited to celebrate the feast day of Saint Zita! Follow us on Instagram to see a glimps of our Saint Zita feast day activities in action. Do you plan on celebrating Saint Zita’s feast day? Comment below with your plans.
Saint Zita Pray for Us!